Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bosses who don't care

Something really funny that I laugh about a lot...one of my old bosses once told me on the way to a photoshoot that she hated this one piece of art that she had to translate into a store guide for the WM associates. I don't remember how we started talking about it now, but I'm guessing we were discussing the person she thought did it and I guess she had issues with her. Anyway, she's going on about how this one seasonal sign was so terrible and how it was the worst thing she'd ever seen. I asked what it looked like and she started describing something that immediately I recalled. BECAUSE IT WAS MINE! She thought someone else had done it and apparently she has no respect for this person. So I laughed along with her never saying a word about how it was mine. It was my first sign I'd ever built for the U.S. stores. I worked in WM International at the time. The U.S. side needed help so I offered to do one of the seasonal signs. It was for June. Well, nothing happens in June as far as a celebratory theme. So I even came up with the theme of "Midsummer Savings". All of WM's signing needed a savings message. Shall I describe the art of such horrifying design? I shall. It was dark purples and blues that emulated dusk, right as the lightening bugs come out. There were trees in flat shadow colors of navy blues ranging in different sizes and shades to give depth perception. Then I had little lightening bugs that had a soft fluorescent green glow to look as if the night were full of these little glowing insects. When you looked at it, it made you instantly hear crickets chirping and quite wind blowing. I loved it then and I love it now. I still wish I had the artwork. That was probably created in Illustrator 3 or 5. Some really old version. So I never admitted that I did it instead of this other person. I didn't want her to feel like an asshole. Feeling like one and looking like one are two different things. So I just sit back and laugh because when I tell certain people that story, they laugh and are confused because they liked it too. But what do we know. We're only artists that actually graduated with Graphic Design degrees. And all that trashing comes from a person without one. What is this world coming to, I tell ya! Maybe it was because she had to start in a department that did nothing but boring store guides. I'd be pretty bitter, too. I was once told by an arrogant WM Buyer that "everybody wants to be the buyer". Really? Well, asshole, everybody wants to be the art director, too. So stick that up your...

Ciao!

No comments: